Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Publishing Date: January 10, 2012

Publisher: Dutton Books

Pages: 368 (Hardcover)

Summary (From Goodreads):



Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

 Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

 Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


I've been wanting to write this review for a long time.  There's so much to say, but it's almost impossible to say it.  I've tried to make myself just sit down and do it.  Get it done.  Rip it off like a band-aid.  But each time, I just couldn't find the words.  Or, at least, the right words.  I think I've finally found them though.

Love is not entirely composed of happy things.  If it were, what would love be at all? When people think of love, it is usually in that ooshy-gushy, holding hands, iwillloveyouforeverandever, type thing. But love is made up of more than that.  Love is made up of more than just happiness.

Love can be made up by dreary things, sad things, things that cause countelss emotions.  Sure, happy things are a part of love, but they are not love in its entirety.  Love can be for something melancholy or gloomy, like a rainy day.  Love can be the hard things in life, like rough days that somehow make you stronger.  The days that, in the end, push you harder and make you grateful.  That is why a heart-breaking, emotional, tear-jerking story such as this one can even be described as love, and can be described as something completely beautiful.

This is the story of cancer patient, Hazel Lancaster.  She grew up knowing that she was going to die.  She constantly stays tethered to an oxygen tank, and hasn't really had many true friends since she was diagnosed.

Until she meets Augustus Waters.   A cancer survivor himself,  something about Hazel catches his eye when they see each other at a "Cancer Support Group" meeting.  He asks her to come see a movie at his house with him, and that is the beginning of everything.

These characters are some of my favorites, possibly ever.  As opposed to a strong, kick-butt, dystopian female who can do everything for herself, Hazel is quite dependent on others.  But she is still strong.  Stronger than I've ever been, at least.  She finds a way to maintain her independence and her own opinion, even when everyone else tells her she can't.  Even the knowledge that she's dying won't let her stop living.

And Augustus Waters.  Oh, Augustus Waters.  What can I say? He's a great person.  Absolutley beautiful.  I don't really know what to say about him.  You can just read about him.  I don't think I could find any words that accurately describe him.  He's just his own person.  The only words to desrcibe him are Augustus Waters.

I'll admit, for a long time, I didn't really want to read this book.  I was worried that I would go into it with high expectations and it wouldn't live up to what everyone else claimed it was.  In additon, I rarely read contemporary.  I like to stick with dystopia, urban fantasy, medieval fiction, etc.  Mainly, fiction with a good bit of action in it.  So, this book had no general appeal to me.

About a month ago, though, I saw my best friend put up a review for this book.  She gave it five stars and went on about how good and emotional it was.  So, I decided it was worth a shot.  Little did I know what I was walking into.

I've never cried over a book like I have for The Fault in our Stars.  I've cried hard, but not like this.  This was sheer, raw emotion.  It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, which makes it hard to talk about.  It cuts deep into you, reaching into emotions buried so deeply inside, you barely knew you had them at all.  It touches a part of us that we all fear, a part of our hearts that is innate in nearly every human.

So, what can I say?  Read the book.

Favorite Quote: “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” 

Rating: 5/5

Peace out, Girl Scouts,
-Maggs

8 comments:

  1. Wow I couldn't agree more, what a fabulous review. John Green is my favourite author and this has got to be the best book ever written. Augustus is amazing and that ending was so heart breaking and words can not describe how great TFIOS is. I love your blog, the graphics and design are amazing, I gave it a follow. I'd love it if you followed mine? :D

    - Sunny @ http://asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog so much!! It's adorable. I followed back :)

      Delete
  2. My thoughts (on this book) are stars I cannot fathom into constellations... I just loved it too much! I'm a huge, huge John Green fan, and so I'm glad you enjoyed this book – I couldn't agree more with what you said! Are you a nerfighter? Just out of interest... :D

    Ruby @ http://feedmebooksnow.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, seriously!!

      And, I only just recently learned what nerdfighter meant, but sure!

      Delete
  3. ZOMG, I NEED TO READ THIS.

    No, maybe I shouldn't....

    Well, maybe I should.....

    Ehh, maybe i shouldn't....

    Maybe I should...

    What if it drastically changes my life...that's not bad is it? But it sounds pretty interesting...hmm...Gosh, I am totally like you right now, and you LOVED it...Even with so many reviews around me, I am still pondering over this. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGZ READ IT READ IT READ ITTTT.

      I'd fangirl with you over it all day longgggg.

      AHHH. Lots of emotions.


      I guess just go with your gut. I think it was an awesome book and you'd seriously like it, but hey, go with what you feel.

      And if you read it, let me know so we can cry and fangirl over Augustus Waters together.

      Delete
  4. Oh Augustus Waters and his grand gestures and his metaphors and his beautifully heart-wrenching letter!! Excuse me while I bawl uncontrollably in a corner.

    NOT OKAY. NOT OKAY AT ALL.

    This book will forever sit upon my favorites shelf. But wait, can we just take a moment for this quote:
    “Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”

    Brb dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh.

      DON'T DO THIS TO ME.

      I do, Augustus Waters. I do.

      *Bawling*

      Delete