Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu


Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Publishing Date: November 29, 2011

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Pages: 305 (Hardcover)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary (from Goodreads):
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                     


I cannot even put my love for this novel into words.   I cannot believe I put off reading it for so long.  It's insanity.    This book has actually been on my to-read list for quite some time (which is true of many books).  I probably would have gotten around to it sometime.  Maybe.  

But anyway, we were at school, and there was a list of books that we had to pick off of for our "Fall Read" in English class. As I looked at the list, these were my thoughts:

Crappy Book by Crappy Author *facepalm*
Crappy Book by Crappy Author *facepalm*
- Crappy Book by Crappy Author *facepalm*
Crappy Book by Crappy Author *facepalm*
- Crappy Book  by Crappy Author *facepalm*
Crappy Book  by Crappy Author *facepalm*
Legend by Marie Lu *PRAISE THE LORD* 

So, needless to say, Legend got pushed up to the top of my to-read list pretty quickly.  And now, having read it, I am stinking KICKING MYSELF for not reading this before now.  DUDE. I loved this book so much.  

In Day's and June's world, America has been split up into to side fighting a war: The Republic (the Western states) and the Colonies (Eastern, also known as the "Patriots").   Day and June both live in the Republic, though Day is a wanted criminal and June is one of the top military experts of the Republic.  But, despite what they may think, they have more in common than they believe.  

When June's brother Metias is murdered and the top suspect is Day, she chooses to track Day down, no matter what the cost or how long it takes.  When she finds him, however, not everything turns out as she expects. 

So, first, the obligatory, (yet also not-so-obligatory ;) paragraph on Day.  OH MY GOODNESS.  I love him so much.  Day is a kick-butt main character who hits a good balance of emotion mixed with action.   And, let's face it, he's also one beautiful boy.  He's a main character that just makes you naturally want to be around him.  Or, he makes me feel that way, at least. 

And June is stinking AWESOME.  She's the cool spy  who can do anything in those cliche movies that everyone watches mixed with Sherlock Holmes.  She can take the tone of someone's voice and tell you about how old he or she is and where the person is from.  Give her five minutes in a room with the person and she can tell you anything you need to know.  It's scary. 

And, let's not forget,  Legend is a book with a fantastic plot.  WHAT DOESN'T THIS BOOK HAVE?!  Seriously.   It was a well-written book that completely met my expectations on every level.  I was very happy reading it.  If this book has been on your TBR list for a while, get to it.  It'll be worth it, I promise.  

Favorite quote from the book: "Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."

Peace Out, Girl Scouts!
-Maggs


4 comments:

  1. The Crappy Book by Crappy Author *facepalm* part had me cracking up xD I definitely agree Legend is amazing and I cant wait ti read Prodigy! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well thank you :) And I know! I cannot WAITTT until Prodigy comes out!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Maggie.
    This is Jhobell Kristyl from Blogaholic Network. I just want to let you know that I featured your review of Marie Lu's LEGEND on my "Great Post Tuesday." Every Tuesday, I feature posts from other bloggers that I think are awesome and I thought that this post was awesome so check it out at http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/legend-by-marie-lu-raindrop-reads/

    Take care!
    Best,
    Jhobell Kristyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I cannot even tell you how honored I am that you featured me. I love your blog so much and am uber-excited! (Seriously. I did a little dance when I read your review). So thankful for the sweet post.

      Thanks once again!
      Maggs :)

      Delete