Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Blood Red Road by Moria Young

Review: Blood Red Road by Moria Young

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
Saba's world is shattered when her twin brother, Lugh, is captured by four cloaked horsemen. Determined to rescue him, Saba sets off into the lawless, wasted landscape left behind by the Wreckers. It's a brutal world where Saba discovers some surprising things about herself: She's a fierce fighter, a cunning opponent, and above all, an unbeatable survivor. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl warriors called the Free Hawks, Saba is off to save her brother - and maybe her whole world.



                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

OH THE EMOTIONS.  

This book is so good that it is unreal.  Saba is one of those kick-butt characters that is just plain awesome.  She can be extremely annoying at times, but you also get so emotionally wrapped-up in her story that it balances out.  

At first, I was a little reluctant to read this because it was written in dialect.  It may not sound that bad, but I am a serious Grammar Nazi, and at first I my only thoughts were, "OH MY GOODNESS.  THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY."  But please, do not let the dialect stop you from reading this book.  You'll get over it, I swear.  And there is an amazing story behind it all. 

So, quick plot summary: Saba's brother, Lugh,  gets kidnapped and she and her little sister Emmi go on a journey to find him.  Along the way, Saba meets a few allies: the Free Hawks and a boy named Jack.  OH, JACK.  I love him so much. 

And, this book is filled to the brim with adventure.  There wasn't a moment in the story where I was bored with it.  I mean seriously, I wanted to be reading this book non-stop (which, unfortunately, eating, sleeping, and cross-country practice decided to interfere with that idea).


Saba kicks butt the whole story.  She cage-fights, and she goes on a journey that no average person would attempt too save her brother.  OH, and let's not forget that she fights man-eating worms.  Yeah.  If there were any doubts of the adventure in this book, you may easily lay them aside. 

This book was totally and utterly enthralling.  It left me wanting so much more of the story.  When I finished, my only thought was, "NO. It's not supposed to end there!" So, I absolutely cannot wait for Rebel Heart, the sequel.

Favorite quote from the book: This was a song that Jack kept singing that I just absolutely fell in love with.  He was referring to Saba, and she was (comically) unaware.  This is one of the verses in the song-
"Oh many fine beauties did beg me to stay
 But none until Annie did snare me
 Though she hurts an shuns me an makes my heart bleed
 My heard-hearted Annie I never shall leave."

1 comment:

  1. I have been seeing this book everywhere, and you definitely convinced me to add it to my TBR pile. Great review!

    ReplyDelete