Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

Review: The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

My Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.
And I'm ready to fight.
                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Note- There will be spoilers in this review if you have not read I Am Number Four, the first book in the series. 

I liked The Power of Six SO much more than I Am Number Four.  I absolutely devoured this book.  I couldn't pull myself away from it. 

This book shows the story from both Four (or John)'s POV and Seven (or Marina)'s POV.   Seven is in Spain with her Cepan, and Four is still in the U.S. with Six and Sam.  And OH MY GOODNESS.  This book is freaking intense.  

They did a much better job of adding danger into the story this time, which was much more exciting than I Am Number Four.   The Mogs (the nickname for Mogadorians) were around much more in this book, and there was much more action.

Also, I liked Sarah in the first book, but I've always liked Six better.  So the fact that Sarah stayed behind in Ohio while John, Sam, and Six travel was awesome to me.  The whole time I was just like "JOHN. PLEASE JUST DUMP SARAH AND BE WITH SIX FOREVER." (Which probably would have saved him some trouble later anyway.)  But Six is stinking awesome.  And it was nice to be able to see her show up much more in this book than she did in I Am Number Four.

Now, let's not forget Seven.  I wasn't as interested in her story as I was in Four and Six, but that's partially because they had a whole other book to start their story, and I was already emotionally involved with that plot-line.  But Seven ends up making me love her story too, and she steals the spotlight on several occasions.  She makes things in Spain interesting, and adds another side to the story that we wouldn't have seen if we had just seen things from Four's POV.

So, basically, this book ripped my heart to shreds.  It was intense, heart-breaking, and emotional, and still action-packed.

Favorite quote from the book: "Be noble, confident, and brave.  Live with the same sort of dignity and valor that you inherited from your father, and trust in your heart and your will, as Lorien trusts in it still to this day.  Never lose faith in yourself, and never lose hope; remember, even when this world throws its worst and then turns its back, there is still always hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment